Friday, April 28, 2017

04.28.17

President Uchtdorf said, "Once you commit to being married, your spouse becomes your soul mate, and it is your duty and responsibility to work every day to keep it that way. Once you have committed, the search for a soul mate is over.” (link here)

Oh how I love this quote! So many times I have heard the question, "How do you know he's The One?" Well, there are the obvious answers. Josh and I have both prayed about our relationship and have received the peace we needed to in regards to our engagement and marriage. But really, how do you know? What do you look for when searching for someone to spend an eternity with?

Josh and I met when we were young (and we still are young), but I always knew. Some people say it's because he's 6'4" and towered over the whole student body, but I always noticed him. I remember admiring him from afar day after day with major swoon worthy eyes. I mean, have you seen the guy? *drool*
But it was more than just being ridiculously attracted to him, and thus developing a mild case of stalker...itis? ;) If you don't know our story, here's the condensed version:

When I moved to Utah, I made it on the volleyball team and ended up playing with Josh's older sister,  Rachel, who shared the same position as me. We became really good friends, but I never knew Josh was her brother. She was two grades above me and graduated the year I moved there. About 7 months after she graduated, she was in a relationship with her now husband and told Josh he should ask me on a double date. His reply? "Yeah, probably not". Ouch, right? Apparently Rachel's persuasion skills are sales person worthy because he ended up asking me out. This whole time I'm still reeling over my good fortune and slight mortification over having my "admire from afar, but don't touch" crush actually talking to me. So we went on our first date and I basically was tongue tied and hung onto his every word the whole night. It's no wonder I had to initiate the second date ;) But alas, I eventually ended up wooing him with my vast knowledge of fruit (he worked in the produce section at Smiths, so good thinking on my part, right?) and with my slightly exaggerated skills at mountain biking. I think he later learned I was stretching the truth a bit on that one when we went on a date mountain biking. Oops. 

And the rest is history in the making! 848 days later, we're still together and counting down the metaphoric days until our marriage (no, we still don't have a date set). So, back to the question at hand. How do I know Josh is "The One"? I agree 100% with President Uchtdorf. I do not believe there is just one person in the world you could spend your life with. Just like you were able to make many friends, I believe it's the same with relationships. Yes, Josh and I have both received confirmation about our marriage, but that doesn't mean it will always be smooth sailing. We're going to have to work to keep the romance, tender feelings, love, and devotion alive. But again, how do I know he's the one I want to spend eternity with? 

Josh is my best friend in the whole world. He treats me like a queen. He's protective of me and always makes sure I'm doing okay, even though he is 1,000 miles away at the moment. He makes me laugh and brings out the silly in me. He constantly tells me how beautiful I am. We share the same goals in life, both spiritually and physically. He makes me want to be a better person. He's always up for an adventure, which is one of my favorite things. But I think one of the most important reasons I know he's my forever is the fact that, with him, I feel like I'm home. That may sound cheesy, but the comfort I feel around Josh puts all my fears, anxiety, and stress to rest. He literally feels like my other half and part of me hurts when we're separated. 

So, is there such a thing as a "soulmate"? I would still say no, there isn't. But, if you find someone, or if there was someone on your mind while reading this post, don't let them go. If they make you happy, work to always keep that relationship alive. It won't be easy. Sometimes life is hard and it's even harder when you have to consider another person. But having someone else there to help carry your burdens is also a great feeling. Find someone to laugh with and explore with. Someone who can be silly, but also mature when needed. Find someone you know would make a good parent to your children. Someone who encourages you to go out of your comfort zone and try new things. If the thought of spending an eternity with that person puts a huge smile on your face, then hold onto them. That is so special and shouldn't be taken for granted. 

Joshua Haymond Austin, thank you for choosing me. I thank my Heavenly Father every single day for putting you in my life, even though I had to force it a little bit ;) I consider myself one of the luckiest girls in the world to be able to call you mine. You mean the world to me and I can't wait to be your wife.

I love you today, tomorrow, and forever.
-Cort

No comments:

Post a Comment