Thursday, June 23, 2016

6/24/16

This is something I've wanted to write about for quite some time, but haven't really found the words or been able to portray them in a way that wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings. So if this does offend anyone, that wasn't my intention and I do apologize.

I've worked at a clothing store for almost five months now, and if there's one thing I have learned, it's this:

Every woman has their insecurities and needs to be told they're beautiful.

Today at work, I was helping a woman who was very much pregnant. I told her we don't sell maternity clothes, but we have many shirts that are flowy and would be very cute. She turned to me with tears streaming down her face and said, "I hate how I look right now. I'm not buying new clothes until after I have this baby."

Working retail, I see so many circumstances like this and it breaks my heart. Another lady came in with a return and said, "I'm too fat for this skirt. I looked horrible in it." To which I told her, "You're not fat, it just isn't the right size. Let's find a different size and I bet you'll look and feel much better."

I hurt for the women who hate the way they look. I'm not going to stand here and preach about loving your body, because I haven't always loved mine. There is a big movement going on that is embracing women with curves and teaching them to love their bodies. And while I absolutely love the message, it didn't apply to me. I've always been petite. I don't have an hourglass body or hips. I can still fit into jeans from Junior High. And for the longest time, I felt bad about my body because I wasn't curvy. I wasn't the "ideal body type" because "no one should wear a size 0" or "it's unhealthy". But it wasn't my choice. It was the way Heavenly Father designed me, and it's taken me a long time to realize that that is beautiful too.

President Monson said, "a woman needs to be told she is beautiful. She needs to be told she is valued. She needs to be told she is worthwhile." (See Others As They May Become)

I can't tell you to just wake up one day and love your body. That's something that needs to be felt on your own and could take months. But here is my advice to all women:

You are valued. You are worthwhile. You are beautiful. When that inner voice tries to tell you that you are not, you go grab another size. You do not need to squeeze and conform to anyone's views on beautiful, because if you do, when you look in the mirror you will feel like you're wearing a skirt that is just too small. Once you accept that the body you have been given is beautiful and grab the right size, you will be so much happier and comfortable in your own skin.

I can't say that I don't have my days where I wish I could just grow a few more inches or become a little more curvy, but those days are also becoming less and less frequent. I will probably have to bear through endless short jokes for the rest of my life, but it no longer hurts. I was given this body and that in and of itself, is the greatest blessing.

So to all the girls, young women, and women out there:

You are valued. You are worthwhile. And most importantly, you are beautiful.

All my love,
Cortlee

No comments:

Post a Comment